We hope this correspondence finds you well and ready to tackle the second half of the school year. We hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and want to wish all a Happy New Year! We look forward to 2022 and all that it brings us.
The Diocese of Brooklyn Schools which St. Francis de Sales Catholic Academy is a part of plans to be open on Monday, January 3rd for in-person instruction.
Our academy continues to safely keep “in-person” instruction for our school community. With the current Omicron surge, it is most important that the administration, faculty, staff, students, and parents help to “slow the spread” by:
- Keeping your child home if they are sick
- Do not send your child to school if your child or a household family member has pending COVID test results
- Follow the COVID Safety and Health Protocols
- Consult your healthcare provider regarding COVID testing and vaccines for your child. The Diocese of Brooklyn and St. Francis de Sales Catholic Academy highly recommend that if anyone in your household has any symptom of COVID-19 or has been exposed to a known positive case that the entire household is tested.
We have seen some new guidelines promulgated by the CDC over the Christmas Recess. As in the past, these guidelines take some time to trickle down into the state and then local levels and finally the school itself. Until further notice, all diocesan Catholic Academies and Parish Schools will continue to follow the current COVID Safety and Health Guidelines while the Diocesan COVID Response Team assesses the new CDC Updated Guidelines released during the Christmas Recess, and we continue to monitor the positive case reporting within our schools. Updates will be shared with families during this time.
As seen on the Media at home Rapid tests and upgraded face masks will be shared with our school. We have been in contact with the NYC DOH and have placed an order for Rapid At Home COVID Tests and Upgraded Face Masks. More information to follow.
Also as we enter the new year we like to take a moment to remind all of the following protocols we have in place to make sure that St. Francis is a healthy and safe environment:
- Quarantine and Report Positive Cases- If any student of St. Francis de Sales Catholic Academy tests positive for COVID-19 the school needs to be notified as soon as possible so we can notify any possible contacts in the school and make decisions on classes staying open. If any student is exposed to a positive case they need to quarantine for at least 10 days and can only return to school if they are symptom-free. We also need to know to help set up any type of remote learning in a timely manner.
- Wear a facemask: Face coverings are a proven effective tool in preventing the spread of COVID-19 and are a necessary component for school opening once again and for ensuring the safety of students and staff. As face coverings contribute to slowing the transmission of COVID-19, face coverings will be required inside St. Francis de Sales Catholic Academy at all times except while eating or taking a mask break.
- Hand Sanitizing and Hand Washing: Hand sanitizing dispensers were installed in all classrooms and throughout high traffic areas. There are increased opportunities for students and staff to wash hands or use hand sanitizer throughout the day.
- Sanitizing the School Building: The Academy undergoes deep cleaning and sanitizing utilizing CDC-approved foggers and disinfectants. Continuous cleaning of high-touch surfaces, i.e. handrails, doorknobs, light switches, bathrooms, etc. will take place throughout the day.
- Daily Health Screenings for Students: Daily health screenings, including temperature checks, must be completed at home by families. Please note failure to complete this daily 20-second questionnaire will result in your child having to be picked up from school and they cannot return to school until the next day.
Please note that failure to follow these guidelines can result in forfeiture of attending St. Francis de Sales Catholic Academy. St. Francis de Sales Catholic Academy continues to follow New York State and City protocols regarding COVID. We encourage our families to do the same outside of the school setting as well.
A few items as we begin the first week of the new year on Monday, January 3rd, 2022.
Last Call for Sibling Registration: Our school year is rapidly moving along. As we begin to prepare for the 2022-2023 school year, we want to ensure that our plans maximize the benefit to your child/children. We have just completed a period in which our current Nursery and Pre-Kindergarten families filled out a letter of intent for Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten classes for next school year.
We ask that if you have any sibling (brother or sister) of a current student here at St. Francis who plans on attending St. Francis in 2022 as a new Nursery, Pre-K, Kindergarten or Grade 1-7 student to please complete the form by clicking here by Monday, January3rd. After that, we will be opening registration to the public on February 11th 2022. (If space allows)
Please note we may already have waiting lists in Grades 1-7 for next year. Please note this intent form is for planning purposes only and does not guarantee your registration for the 2022-2023 school year.
As always, we thank you for your dedication and support to St. Francis de Sales Catholic Academy. If you have any concerns that we may address, please do not hesitate to call us or email us.
Christmas Card Collection: During the week of January 4th St. Francis de Sales Catholic Academy will be collecting old Christmas Cards for Saint Judes Children’s Hospital. There will be boxes at the entrances for children to drop off any front of the cards which are then sent to Saint Judes Children’s Hospital and they use them for their own arts and crafts projects. (No Picture Cards). Please note it is not only for Christmas cards but for all occasion cards. Please note that all cards are used except for Hallmark, American Greetings and Disney which are unable to be used due to copyright laws.
SFDS Family Mass: We welcome everyone to our January Family Mass. Each month we will have specific grades participate in our liturgy. For January, we extend an extra warm welcome to the children of the parish in FOURTH GRADE. If you have a child that is in Fourth Grade and would like to volunteer to assist us with our 10:00AM Mass on January 9th, please complete the sign-up form via this link: https://forms.gle/J6fLvBYSVvAVbp2o7
Some of the volunteer opportunities that your children may be chosen to assist us with include: reading the First or Second Readings or the prayer of the faithful, bringing up the offertory gifts, serving as greeters before Mass and handing out the bulletins after Mass.All children that volunteer MUST participate in a brief rehearsal on Thursday, January 6, at 4:30PM in the Church. All children must be accompanied by one parent or guardian to the rehearsal. If your child is interested in volunteering, please complete the form below.
Bagel and Pizza Order Form for Grades 5-8: The last day of the Fall and Winter Bagel Order for Grades K-8 is Monday 1/31. The last day of the Fall and Winter Pizza Order is Thursday 2/17 for Grades K-4 and Friday 2/18 for Grades 5-8. New Order Forms will be available in the coming weeks for the rest of the school year. Please as soon as those order forms are emailed out fill them out as soon as possible to help us plan accordingly. All payments will be collected via your family FACTS account.
Parent/Student Traffic Safety: Saint Francis de Sales Catholic Academy urges you to support our priority of student and traffic safety around our school. Safe driving around the school improves the safety for all children, including yours. Please consider the following tips:
- Please drive slowly around Saint Francis de Sales Catholic Academy while children are present.
- U-turns and K-turns increase the likelihood a child may get struck and significantly disrupt the orderly flow of traffic. They should be avoided, especially when children are present.
- Drivers must STOP for pedestrians crossing at a marked crosswalk.
- Pedestrians must use marked crosswalks to cross the street. Never leave your car unattended.
- Do not block crosswalks, driveways, or fire hydrants.
- Be courteous to fellow parents and neighbors.
- Remain alert and encourage others to follow these safe driving tips.
Thank you in advance for your help with improving the safety of your children.
Faculty Professional Day: Just a reminder that in two weeks our students have a 4 day weekend that gets kicked off on Friday 1/14 as the faculty participates in a Diocesan-wide professional development data day this is then followed by Martin Luther King Jr. Day on Monday 1/17.
Yearbook Ad Order Form: Family and Friends of the Class of 2022
We are now accepting ads for our 2022 Yearbook
Full page ad …$130.00
Half page ad …$65.00
Quarter Page …$35.00
Ads will be considered on time & accepted until WEDNESDAY, January 26th. *Late Ads will be accepted on 1/27 & 1/28, however, a $10.00 late fee per ad must be added to your total remitted.
Instructions for creating your ad are included above.
We strongly suggest that Ads be created in JPEG format and emailed as a JPG file. PDF format/file is not acceptable
Enrichment Programs: Starting with Mad Science and Crayola Art in two weeks we are starting our second round of enrichment programs here at St. Francis de Sales. Flyers have been sent home for various enrichment programs over the past month. Any questions please contact the main office at 718-634-2775.
SAVE THE DATE
1/11: Class of 2022 Dinner Dance Meeting (Virtual) at 7pm
Meeting ID: 856 2573 9585
1/12: Catholic High Schools Mail Acceptance Notifications
1/13: ½ day with a 12 noon dismissal
1/14: Faculty Professional Day (School Closed)
1/17: Martin Luther King Jr. Day (School Closed)
Strategic Planning (2022-2025): During the winter and spring of 2022, our school will once again go through the process of creating a strategic plan.
One of the first steps in this process is completing a SWOT Analysis of all stakeholders. Please see the link below.
Please complete this by Sunday, January 2nd.
What is a SWOT Analysis? “SWOT” is an acronym that stands for strengths, weaknesses,
opportunities, and threats. A SWOT analysis is a structured activity that a group can engage in
to identify the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats facing them in any given area.
Why This Step is Important?
The Planning for Success SWOT analysis is useful as a first step in a planning or action planning process. The SWOT analysis activity results in a document that participants can reference throughout the planning or action planning process, ensuring that the plan they develop is appropriate for the school context and addresses identified weaknesses and threats. Even more importantly, participants can continue to refer to the opportunities they identified that an improved planning process offers the district or school. This list of opportunities can serve as a set of criteria for the planning process itself, and the facilitator can refer back to and revisit this list of opportunities with the team in order to ensure that the planning process itself is maximizing these opportunities.
Amazon Smile: AmazonSmile is a simple and automatic way for you to support St. Francis DeSales Catholic Academy every time you shop, at no cost to you.
When you shop at smile.amazon.com, you’ll find the exact same low prices, vast selection and convenient shopping experience as Amazon.com, with the added bonus that Amazon will donate a portion of the purchase price to our Academy.
To shop at AmazonSmile, go to smile.amazon.com from the web browser on your computer or mobile device. You may also want to add a bookmark to smile.amazon.com to make it even easier to return and start your shopping at AmazonSmile.
If you are an AmazonSmile customer, you can now support St Francis deSales Catholic Academy in the Amazon shopping app on your Android device! Simply follow these instructions to turn on AmazonSmile and start generating donations.
- If you have the latest version of the Amazon Shopping App, open the App on your Android device.
- View Settings and select AmazonSmile.
- Follow the in-App instructions to complete the process.
If you do not have the latest version of the Amazon Shopping App, update your App. Click here for instructions.
AmazonSmile is not currently available for iOS users.
Have a great New Year’s and weekend! We will see everyone fully rested when we return on January 3rd.