Summer is now upon us, and I am sure that each of you have some plans to enjoy the weather and the extra time. I pray that you will have some great family time and will return safely and refreshed. We are blessed to have just finished another wonderful year filled with great memories.
To those that are leaving St. Francis de Sales this June we wish you the best of luck in your new schools.
We want to thank you, parents, for your support. We couldn’t teach your students to this degree without a good school/home partnership. The work the students and teachers have done this year was focused on our children, and it makes me proud to be a part of this very special place. We look forward to opening our doors next year to about 555 students. But remember, summer does not mean we take a vacation from the Lord! I encourage you, wherever you may be this summer, to make time to come to Mass on Sundays and to pray every day!
Please make note of the following:
- A list of tuition fees for the 2019-2020 school year can be found by clicking here. Tuition is due by the 15th of the month, July through April. By taking advantage of the security and convenience of payment processing and information technology offered by FACTS. Tuition payments for the 2019-2020 school year can be paid online, by phone, or by mail. You may also sign up for auto pay as well. Only in an emergency will payment be accepted in the school building and/or rectory. You should have received an email invite from FACTS with information necessary to enroll if new to the school. Included in the invite will be the website you will need to access. If you have yet to receive this email, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to let her know. She will be sure to respond to your request in a timely fashion.
- The summer office hours along with the calendar for next year are already posted on our website. Throughout the summer check the calendar for any updates. Although the school office may be closed at times, we are always available with any question or concern through email at email@example.com.
- Flynn & O’Hara continues to be our only uniform supplier. If you need anything for next year, I suggest that you visit the store early in the summer to avoid the crowds. The store location is The Shops at Atlas Park, 8000 Cooper Avenue, Lower Level, Glendale, NY 11385. Uniforms can also be ordered online at www.flynnohara.com, or by phone at 718-326-2704.
- Virtus training is mandated by the Diocese as a requirement for anyone who would like to volunteer to help with the children in the school (lunch parent, class parent, trip helper, etc.). For a list of upcoming sessions and information on how to register, log on to www.virtus.org. This training must be completed prior to starting your volunteer service.
- School will officially begin Wednesday 9/4 for students in Kindergarten – Grade 8. Children in the Nursery and Pre-K will begin on Monday 9/9.
Summer Assignments and Supply Lists are available on the main page of our website at https://stfrancisacademybh.org/. Every student is expected to have all supplies as well as a school bag on the first day of school. All Summer Assignments should be completed by the first day of school as well.
This year we will be working with schooltoolbox.com too to host a supply kit sale.
Right now our school online store is live and can be found by clicking here. We are excited to be able to offer this convenience to you. We have worked very hard to make the process as easy as possible. The online store will be open through the summer for parents to shop from their homes. Orders leave the warehouse within 10 days of ordering, so please keep that in mind to order with enough time before school starts. I would suggest that you order the boxes by August 20th to make sure that your boxes arrive in time for school.
Please note that you can choose not to buy certain items from the list if you already have purchased or will purchase elsewhere.
The following supplies are not included in the school supply sale and would have to be purchased separately. Any questions please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nursery-Grade 8: Bookbag
Pre-K: Lysol Spray and Brown Lunch Bags
Grade 7: Clorox/Lysol Spray
Grades 1-8: Pan set of 36 colors Watercolor Paints (Available on Amazon or at Michael’s)
As you know, this week, sadly, we say farewell to Mrs. Martello our assistant principal. While we wish her the best of luck in their future endeavors, we certainly will miss her here at St. Francis.
We are happy to announce that our new Assistant Principal, Mrs. Megan Faughnan, will be joining the St. Francis de Sales Catholic Academy family on August 15th. Mrs. Faughnan is a certified Literacy Specialist and School Building Leader, and joins us from Partnership Schools—a network of Catholic schools in Manhattan. Over her last five years at Partnership, she served as their head of academics in a school setting and most recently, the Curriculum Manager for all seven networked schools. Her fifteen years of professional experience in education also spans from Dean of Student Learning and Support and Learning Specialist at Cristo Rey High School to an AmeriCorp teacher in South Dakota. Mrs. Faughnan is extremely excited to start her new chapter here in Belle Harbor and I look forward to you meeting her in September.
I am also happy to announce the following changes to our current faculty:
- Ms. Meittinis is moving up to our 4th grade
- We welcome Mrs. Surgot as one of our new 1st grade teachers.
Mrs. Surgot is currently teaching at St. Francis Xavier School and has been a dedicated Catholic School educator. Welcome, Mrs. Surgot, to St. Francis and to our 1st grade team!
We remain dedicated to advancing your child’s academic, social and spiritual development in a supportive, safe and challenging learning environment. We welcome your active participation in your child’s education, and we urge you to be proactive in communicating with our administration and teachers, and, as time allows, to volunteer in our various programs and events. By working together, we will ensure success for your children.
I hope we all return in September with new energy and with renewed commitments to this very special Academy.
Enjoy the summer, and we will see you in the Fall!
PS: Please keep in mind that one of our first charity events will be St. Baldrick’s “Bald on the Beach” on September 15th. You might consider holding off on that back to school haircut until then…
For more information please click here.