Dear Academy Families,
We hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and want to wish all a Happy New Year! We look forward to 2021 and all that it brings us.
Just a reminder that whether you’re visiting family members one state over or across the globe, travel makes up a huge part of the holiday season. There’s always a risk of getting sick while traveling because of the inherent stress of traveling, interacting with frequently touched surfaces in public places, and changes in climate and environment. But this year brings different considerations because of the Coronavirus Pandemic and the New York State Travel Advisory.
Things to consider as we enjoy this time with Family.
NYS COVID-19 Travel Advisory: The NYS COVID-19 travel advisory requires individuals who have traveled out of New York State to non-contiguous states for more than 24 hours to either quarantine for 10 days upon return to New York State or “Test to Exit” quarantine.
For students who were out-of-state for more than 24 hours:
- Students must obtain a test within three days of departure, prior to arrival in New York.
- The student must, upon arrival in New York, quarantine for three days.
- On day 4 of their quarantine, the student must obtain another COVID test. If both tests come back negative, the student may exit quarantine early upon receipt of the second negative diagnostic test.
The Office of the Superintendent of Schools for the Diocese of Brooklyn has expanded the International Travel Advisory to include all International Travel.
Full Information on the NYS COVID-19 Travel Advisory can be found at: https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/covid-19-travel-advisory
Full Information on the CDC Recommendations for Holiday Celebrations and Travel can be found at: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/daily-life-coping/holidays.htm
Please if you have traveled this Christmas season and have to quarantine or test out of quarantine please let the school know as soon as possible so we can advise you of the exact dates of testing and return to school in January.
Please note that failure to follow these guidelines can result in forfeiture of attending St. Francis de Sales Catholic Academy.
Also as we enter the new year we like to take a moment to remind all of the following protocols we have in place to make sure that St. Francis is a healthy and safe environment:
- Quarantine and Report Positive Cases- If any student of St. Francis de Sales Catholic Academy tests positive for COVID-19 the school needs to be notified as soon as possible so we can notify any possible contacts in the school and make decisions on classes staying open. If any student is exposed to a positive case they need to quarantine for at least 10 days and can only return to school if they are symptom-free. (Please note that this guideline just changed on Tuesday 12/29 from a 14 day quarantine)
- Wear a facemask: Face coverings are a proven effective tool in preventing the spread of COVID-19 and are a necessary component for school opening once again and for ensuring the safety of students and staff. As face coverings contribute to slowing the transmission of COVID-19, face coverings will be required inside St. Francis de Sales Catholic Academy at all times except while eating or taking a mask break. Masks need to be worn at all times on school grounds this includes the school yard as well. Security will be around with extra masks if necessary, at both arrival and dismissal.
- Social distance: St. Francis de Sales Catholic Academy will comply with the COVID-19 health and safety protocols including maintaining at least six feet of physical distancing. Signage is posted, including but not limited to signs to remind individuals to remain six feet apart, signs to support appropriate movement protocols, and floor markers that show six feet in distance
- Hand Sanitizing and Hand Washing: Hand sanitizing dispensers were installed in all classrooms and throughout high traffic areas. There are increased opportunities for students and staff to wash hands or use hand sanitizer throughout the day.
- Sanitizing the School Building: The Academy undergoes deep cleaning and sanitizing utilizing CDC approved foggers and disinfectants. A cleaning company with COVID-19 disinfecting and sanitizing capabilities has been retained and our cleaning staff will use disinfecting foggers nightly. Continuous cleaning of high-touch surfaces, i.e. handrails, doorknobs, light switches, bathrooms, etc. will take place throughout the day.
- Daily Health Screenings for Students: Daily health screenings, including temperature checks, must be completed at home by families. This is done through the MyTempTracker App. Please note failure to complete this daily 20-second questionnaire will result in your child having to be picked up from school and they cannot return to school until the next day.
- Temperature Screenings: Every morning, prior to entering the school, students and staff will have their temperatures taken using non-touch thermometers. Any student who has a temperature of 100.0 or over will be sent to the nurse for further evaluation. Please make sure that you are bringing your child to the correct entrance at the correct arrival time each morning. For more information please see our website.
Please note that failure to follow these guidelines can result in forfeiture of attending St. Francis de Sales Catholic Academy. St. Francis de Sales Catholic Academy continues to follow New York State and City protocols regarding COVID. We encourage our families to do the same outside of the school setting as well.
Onto the week ahead……
5th-8th Grade Hybrid Learning Schedules
5th, 6th Grade and 7th Grade are on a Week 3 Schedule
Monday 1/4: Groups 2 and 3 in School; Group 1 Remote- Bagel Day for Group 2 and 3 Students
Tuesday 1/5: Groups 1 and 3 in School; Group 2 Remote
Wednesday 1/6: Groups 1 and 2 in School; Group 3 Remote
Thursday 1/7:Groups 2 and 3 in School; Group 1 Remote.
Friday 1/8: Groups 1 and 3 in School; Group 2 Remote
8th Grade is on a Week 1 Schedule
Monday 1/4: Blue Group in School; Gold Group at Home Learning. Blue Group Bagel Monday
Tuesday 1/5: Gold Group in School; Blue Group at Home Learning
Wednesday 1/6: Blue Group in School; Gold Group at Home Learning.
Thursday 1/7: Gold Group in School; Blue Group at Home Learning
Friday 1/8: Blue Group in School; Gold Group at Home Learning.
Re-Registration 2021-2022: As we begin to prepare for the 2021-2022 school year, we want to ensure that our plans maximize the benefit to your child/children. We will begin open registration in the winter of 2021. During the week of January 11th re-registration packets will be sent home with the oldest child in the family. Please be sure to complete the necessary documents no later than Friday January 22nd. Please note that all re-registration fees will be added to your FACTS account during the week of January 25th. We do expect to have waitlists in certain grade levels so it will be very important that all families planning on returning to St. Francis de Sales Cathiolic Academy keep up to date with the paperwork and fees in regard to re-registration.
Parent/Student Traffic Safety: Saint Francis de Sales Catholic Academy urges you to support our priority of student and traffic safety around our school. Safe driving around the school improves the safety for all children, including yours. Please consider the following tips:
- Please drive slowly around Saint Francis de Sales Catholic Academy while children are present.
- U-turns and K-turns increase the likelihood a child may get struck and significantly disrupt the orderly flow of traffic. They should be avoided, especially when children are present.
- Drivers must STOP for pedestrians crossing at a marked crosswalk.
- Pedestrians must use marked crosswalks to cross the street. Never leave your car unattended.
- Do not block crosswalks, driveways, or fire hydrants.
- Be courteous to fellow parents and neighbors.
- Remain alert and encourage others to follow these safe driving tips.
Thank you in advance for your help with improving the safety of your children.
Masks for Sale: As you know we are currently selling St. Francis de Sales Catholic Academy Masks.
To order please click here.
There are two options to choose from. Feel free to mix and match in your order.
Please note we only have a limited amount of these masks. Once we sell out we will not restock.
Please note an order is not complete until payment is made via Venmo.
All payment must come through Venmo. Please make your family’s payment to “@SFDSCACADEMY”. Please be sure to include what children (full name) and class you are making payment for in the notes section. Please note that your order is not complete until payment is made and the order form is submitted.
Prices are as follows:
1 Mask for $15
2 Masks for $30
3 Masks for $40
4 Masks for $45
5 Masks for $50
Any questions please email Mr. Scharbach at email@example.com
Picture Day: Please note we are still working on getting individual pictures taken of our students in Grades Nursery thru Grade 1 and Grades 5 thru 7. As soon as we get approval we will let families know. Please note that for the 2020-2021 school year there will be no whole class pictures.
Christmas Card Collection: During the week of January 4th St. Francis de Sales Catholic Academy will be collecting old Christmas Cards for Saint Judes Children’s Hospital. There will be boxes at the entrances for children to drop off any front of the cards which are then sent to Saint Judes Children’s Hospital and they use them for their own arts and crafts projects. (No Picture Cards). Please note it is not only for Christmas cards but for all occasion cards. Please note that all cards are used except for Hallmark, American Greetings, and Disney which are unable to be used due to copyright laws.
Have a great New Year’s and weekend! We will see everyone fully rested when we return on January 4th.