Dear Class of 2020 Families,
Now that the school year has finished and the students are completed with their classes and have their report cards in hand it is time to get ready for our in-person Graduation next week on Friday Night 6/26 at 6pm. If we have to postpone to Saturday morning due to weather that decision will be made by 8am on 6/26. This event will take place in the school yard.
The graduates need to attend a mandatory Zoom Meeting this Wednesday at 10am. Here the administration will discuss with students what they need to wear, what time to arrive, where they are sitting, the process if their name is called for an award, and how they will receive their diplomas.
The Zoom meeting link and information is below. Please make sure your child attends.
Topic: Graduation Student Practice
Time: Jun 24, 2020 10:00 AM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 898 1089 6506
Some basic guidelines about next Friday’s ceremony:
- All attendees at the gathering are required to remain six feet apart from other attendees at all times, excluding immediate family members or household members.
- All attendees at the gathering must wear a mask or face covering at all times, if they are able to medically tolerate a covering. Individual students may temporarily remove their masks or face coverings while crossing the stage when they are receiving their diploma and having their individual photo taken off stage.
- The graduate can bring up to two parents to graduation as guests. Please note that no one can be in the school yard, around the gate, or on the school grounds before, during, and after the ceremony except the graduate, his/her parents, 7th/8th grade faculty, school administration, school security, and graduation staff. This will be strictly enforced by our security. Please note that any gathering around the school yard will add to our numbers and mean that we will have to either delay or cancel the outdoor graduation. We need all families to help us with this and ask your families and friends to stay home and watch the graduation on the livestream. No exceptions will be made.
- There will be an area of portable bathrooms and hand sanitizer stations at the entrances and exits that have been generously donated by the Howard Family of our school in the school yard.
- Please note that the graduation will be filmed and live streamed for all those family and friends who could not attend to watch.
- Please also note that there maybe be a few times in the ceremony where the podium will have to be wiped down.
What time should we arrive? We ask all families to arrive between 5:45pm and 5:50pm. There will be limited parking on the streets so we recommend that all who live close please walk. Graduation will begin at 6pm and should run about 60 minutes.
What should the graduates wear? The Graduates need to wear their Graduation Gown and Cap with 2020 Tassel. The graduates will be provided a Gold Stole with the words “SFDS 2020” when they enter. The graduates are asked not to decorate their caps for the Graduation exercise. We appreciate your cooperation with that request.
How will the Graduates receive their diplomas? The graduate’s names will be called at which point they will walk to the right-hand side of the stage, take their mask off walk on stage and be handed their diploma. There must not be person-to-person contact during the celebration. Individuals may not shake hands. Sharing or exchanging materials of any kind poses an increased risk of transmission of COVID-19. After they receive their diploma, they will walk off the stage on the left have their picture taken with their diploma and then return to their seat.
How will the Graduates be seated? Graduates will be seated with their parent(s). Each family will be separated by at least 6 feet in each direction There will be three chairs for each graduate family, four for our 3 pairs of siblings. The graduate is asked to sit on the right-hand side of the chairs. For our pairs of siblings, the graduates will sit on the ends with their parent(s) in the middle. A map will be distributed closer to the graduation once the school yard is set up yet we will be seated this year alphabetically starting with the 20th letter of the alphabet which is “T” and going to Z before beginning with A and going all the way to S. Please note that there will be a stage and screen to help everyone’s viewing experience.
How will graduates receive awards? If your graduates name is called for an award during the ceremony the graduate is asked to stand at their seats where they will be recognized. After the ceremony is finished your graduate is asked to go to the assigned table where awards will be given out. Please remind your graduate they will need to be socially distanced when waiting on the awards line. Your graduate can have their picture taken with their award at the designated photo spot after the graduation.
Once the graduation is complete the administration, clergy, and faculty will leave. We do ask that after you take a few pictures that you exit the school yard in a timely fashion. Security will use best judgement in clearing out the school yard after the ceremony. Please stay socially distanced when in the schoolyard at all times. This includes the graduates.
Much time and planning has gone into this ceremony and we want it to be the best of the best for our graduates yet we really do need full cooperation with the above guidelines. I thank you in advance
Of course, if you have any questions you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Have a great weekend.