Dear Families of Saint Francis de Sales Catholic Academy,
I hope everyone is enjoying the time off and having fun so far this summer. In just over six weeks St. Francis de Sales Catholic Academy will continue the traditions of Saint Francis de Sales Parish School of opening its doors for the 109th year to over 620 students. Teachers will begin to come back next month to help make those hallways and classrooms begin to look spectacular. Most importantly the administration, faculty, and staff here at St. Francis look forward to greeting your children for that all-important first day of school.
We are so happy that we will be having all students returning for in-person learning for this next school year. We anticipate hearing from our superintendent’s office over the next two to three weeks in regard to final health directives in regards to September 2021.
Since our school year ended, we did say farewell to two teachers this summer. Both Ms. Suarez and Ms. Meittinis will be moving on from St. Francis de Sales. We wish both Ms. Suarez (NYC Department of Education-Teacher) and Ms. Meittinis (Campus Minister at The Mary Louis Academy) good luck in their future endeavors. We look forward to introducing our new faculty members in our next update in two weeks.
As previously announced, the 2021-2022 school year will see the creation of an Academy Family Association. The mission of the Academy Family Association (AFA) is to support and enrich the academic, spiritual, and community programs of St. Francis de Sales Catholic Academy. Mirroring the traditions and teachings of the Catholic faith, parents work in partnership with the school to ensure students have the very best in education. The goals of the AFA are to: Support the spiritual events and create opportunities to develop a strong and meaningful Christian community for students, families, faculty, and administration, Provide a vehicle of communication between parents and the school, Plan and coordinate fund-raising activities that support school programs, and offer interesting and informative programs that are relevant to students and the school community.
We are beginning the process of putting together a slate of candidates for the four officers of the AFA over the next month. The four positions are the 1) President, 2) Vice-President, 3) Secretary, and 4) Treasurer. For more information about each position and the AFA as a whole please click here. Please note to qualify for an officer your child(ren) must have attended St. Francis de Sales Catholic Academy for at least one full school year.
After taking a look at the roles and responsibilities, if any parent is interested in being considered to be a candidate for any of the above positions you are asked to email Dr. Scharbach at email@example.com with your name, grades your child(ren) are entering, and position you are considering no later than Friday, August 6th, 2021. Dr. Scharbach will be reaching out during the week of August 9th to explain the duties and determine the candidate’s willingness to serve. Please note the election of officers will take place at the various Back to School Nights in September 2021.
Some reminders as the calendar turn from July to August.
- A list of tuition fees for the 2021-2022 school year can be found by clicking here. Tuition is due by the 15th of the month, August through May. One of our primary goals at St. Francis de Sales Catholic Academy is to concentrate our efforts on improving the business side of our school. By taking advantage of the security and convenience of payment processing and information technology offered by FACTS, we remain committed to this goal. Tuition payments for the 2021-2022 school year can be paid online, by phone, or by mail. You may also sign up for autopay as well. Only in an emergency will payment be accepted in the school building and/or rectory. For those families that have an Invoice Payment Plan, each month, 20 days before your payment due date, FACTS will send you an email or mail invoice letting you know that your invoice is ready. If you want to mail in a payment, you will need to log into their FACTS account and click on the Actions button and choose the Mail-In a Payment link.
- The summer office hours along with the calendar for next year are already posted on our website. Throughout the summer check the calendar for any updates. Although the school office may be closed at times, we are always available with any question or concern through email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Summer Assignments and Supply Lists are available on the main page of our website at https://stfrancisacademybh.org/Just a reminder that all summer assignments are due when we return to school on September 8th and can be found by clicking here. The most important assignment is that of reading each night. The more your child reads and is read to, the more your child’s network of knowledge strengthens. It not only is “preparing them for the next grade,” but also improves their listening skills, builds early literacy skills, and strengthens their ability to make connections, draw conclusions, and better understand the world around them. Reading with a child each day is an investment for a lifetime.
- We also shared that every student is expected to have all supplies as well as a school bag on the first day of school. This year we will be working with schooltoolbox.com to host a supply kit sale. Right now our school online store is live and can be found by clicking here. We are excited to be able to offer this convenience to you. We have worked very hard to make the process as easy as possible. The online store will be open through the summer for parents to shop from their homes. Orders leave the warehouse within 10 days of ordering, so please keep that in mind to order with enough time before school starts. I would suggest that you order the boxes by August 23rd to make sure that your boxes arrive in time for school. Please note that you can choose not to buy certain items from the list if you already have purchased or will purchase elsewhere.
The following supplies are not included in the school supply sale and would have to be purchased separately. Any questions please email us at email@example.com
Nursery-Grade 8: Bookbags
Kindergarten-Grade 8: Art Supplies
- Flynn & O’Hara continues to be our only uniform supplier. If you need anything for next year, I suggest that you visit the store early in the summer to avoid the crowds. The store location is The Shops at Atlas Park, 8000 Cooper Avenue, Lower Level, Glendale, NY 11385. Uniforms can also be ordered online at flynnohara.com,or by phone at 718-326-2704. Just a reminder that next school year we will be back to dress uniform. For more information on uniforms please click here.
We did hear that some families may have had an issue with getting a patch for the jumper (girls). If that is the case please contact the store and they will make sure that you get one for each jumper purchased, free of charge. Any issues please let the school know.
- Virtus training is mandated by the Diocese as a requirement for anyone who would like to volunteer to help with the children in the school (lunch parent, class parent, AFA Board member, etc.). For a list of upcoming sessions and information on how to register, log on to virtus.org. This training and background check must be completed prior to starting your volunteer service.
- Finally, just a reminder to our incoming 8th graders that registration for the TACHS exam will begin on Monday, August 23rd.
Our next update will be during the week of August 9th. In the update will be all of the Back to School Forms and Special Lunch order forms. Until then have a great few weeks.
Sincerely in Christ,
Christopher Scharbach, Ed.D